Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Rates?

Barry B wrote:

Thanks for the input, Scott and geoff. The part I wrestle with, and it's ki=
nd of the same thing I wrestle(d) with in my main professional life as a mu=
sician back in the days when I USED to play wedding receptions. The actual=
making of the music (or recording in this case) is a lot of fun; it's the =
dealing with demanding brides during the planning stages (or, in this case,=
recording clients who want a never-ending string of revised mixes) which m=
akes the dollar-per-hour figure go way down... and kind of sucks the joy ou=
t of the endeavors. To be fair, the client this time was not unkind or dif=
ficult... just not real clear in what she wanted sometimes, and what I thin=
k she wanted wasn't really possible given the parameters of the session (li=
ve performance in single room, no isolation, lots of bleed).=20

I never heard of any professional studio that charged by the job. You'd die
that way. It would be bad for the studio as well as the customer.

Charging time and materials, for one thing, means a lot less wasted time and
a lot more motivation for the customers to be prepared. It doesn't stop
mission creep but it at least means mission creep is out in the open and
everyone can see it.

Never say "no" to a customer, just explain what it would take to do what
they are asking for and what that will mean in terms of cost.