Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B Barry B is offline

Default Rates?

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 11:38:47 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Time and materials. If they really did use two hours, it would come to
around $300 including a reel of 1/4" and a blank CD-R.

I'd go direct to 2-track specifically to stop the revisions. If they want
to go to digital 8-track and then mix to 2, that's fine, and we can make
plenty more changes, but it'll take more time. If they come in with charts,
they are all well-rehearsed, and they know what they want it to sound like
and can articulate it, it can be done fast.

It beats digging ditches.

That it does, although with digging ditches the pain is only physical, and, in the words of Dalton, "Pain don't hurt."

Thanks for the input, Scott and geoff. The part I wrestle with, and it's kind of the same thing I wrestle(d) with in my main professional life as a musician back in the days when I USED to play wedding receptions. The actual making of the music (or recording in this case) is a lot of fun; it's the dealing with demanding brides during the planning stages (or, in this case, recording clients who want a never-ending string of revised mixes) which makes the dollar-per-hour figure go way down... and kind of sucks the joy out of the endeavors. To be fair, the client this time was not unkind or difficult... just not real clear in what she wanted sometimes, and what I think she wanted wasn't really possible given the parameters of the session (live performance in single room, no isolation, lots of bleed).

I appreciate the thoughts.