Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Rates?

Barry B wrote:
A very general, probably unanswerable question...=20

What would you charge to record, mix, and master a seven minute single song=
with drums, acoustic bass, grand piano, french horn, flute, and vocalist, =
in your studio, and provide a CD-R of the final output, with frequent input=
and revisions requested by the person who hired you? Two hours were blocke=
d for the session.

Time and materials. If they really did use two hours, it would come to
around $300 including a reel of 1/4" and a blank CD-R.

I'd go direct to 2-track specifically to stop the revisions. If they want
to go to digital 8-track and then mix to 2, that's fine, and we can make
plenty more changes, but it'll take more time. If they come in with charts,
they are all well-rehearsed, and they know what they want it to sound like
and can articulate it, it can be done fast.

I know the answers will vary GREATLY depending upon experience, equipment, =
facilities, overhead, etc. Just curious... and currently wondering why ANY=
ONE would want to do this for a living full time...

It beats digging ditches.