Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B Barry B is offline

Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 5:43:36 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

Whatever happened to Fletch ?

I never met him personally, nor would he remember me, but he was incredibly helpful to me over many phone calls and made great recommendations on gear.. Rec.audio.pro, in general back then, was a hugely helpful resource and place full of wonderful knowledgeable people. It's really nice to know that a few are still here! Before even posting here (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike), I looked up Mercenary and tried to find Fletcher, only to discover that the Mercenary of olden is no more. Fletcher appears to have taken a gig w Telefunken for a bit after leaving Mercenary, but judging from Mike's response above, he has gone on to a different calling at this point. Understandable. Sure would be fun to find his bar!

I have (amongst several others - several MOTU, Aphex, that old Delta
1010, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and 18i20, way back to Turtle Beach
Multisound (wonder how Dave Haynie is going...), and a few others.

Have had no problems whatsoever with the Focusrite drivers or hardware,
or major sound differences wrt mic-fussiness. Everything sounds pretty
much as expected and not significantly different to any of the others.
maybe my hearing is going ...

In fact, unlike in the 'old days' anything USB-based seems a doodle
compared to the previous attachment methods . Only catch is to follow
the instructions as to what to do first - either install the driver or
attach the device.

geoff

Good to know, geoff... very helpful. One thing I enjoyed at the session on Monday night (which went very well) was just how rock solid and trouble-free the Delta1010 is. Whenever I have to drag out my little Tascam US-366 for a quick USB laptop recording, I have to wrestle with all kinds of settings and recording errors until I get the buffer settings and routing correct.. The 1010... turn on the computer and just use it. I love the physical ease and portability of USB, but sure appreciate the hardware monitoring and total lack of latency behind the 1010. I'm hoping that, whatever I end up getting, I can enjoy the best of both worlds.... and better mic pres. Thanks for the reply.