Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B Barry B is offline

Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

I've read about a bajillion reviews and internet opinions and, as usual, opinions vary from "BEST THING EVER" to "I WOULDN'T HOLD A DOOR OPEN WITH ONE"... for pretty much any piece of gear. Hoping to get a little more guidance here...

What I do -

"Classical" (orchestral and chamber) and acoustic jazz (mostly "straight ahead") music recording. Typical session is two to eight mics, and usually no direct or line inputs, all simultaneously input. There have been a few times when I've wished for a few more mic channels. On very rare occasions I do some light overdubbing. No real interest in using high sampling rates due to increased system demands and increased TIM with very minimal (if any) gains in fidelity. Most recordings done at 24/48 or 16/44.1.

What I've been using for many years -

A two-channel Great River mic pre with balanced and unbalanced outputs (LOVE IT).
An Apogee PSX100.
Earthworks QTC1 or Neumann KM184 pairs, typically, depending upon room.

Those are my good two channels. When I need more, I've just used mic prefader outs of a Mackie VLZ1404. Don't hate me. It's what I have, and this stuff was all purchased back in the starvation years; I saved and paid what was VERY long green back then for me for two really good channels.

My interface is an M-audio Delta1010; internal card w/ breakout box, eight channels of analog input, and SPDIF (fed from the Apogee), feeding a Win 7 machine running Samplitude 11.5.

What I want -

More channels of high quality mic preamps, above all.
The ability to get all of those channels simultaneously through high quality conversion by an interface.

What I want to spend -

As little as possible to get quality gear. Hoping to stay under $2K.

What I'm considering -

Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB - would cover all the bases, very cost effectively, but unsure about ACTUAL quality of pres and stability of drivers, based upon reviews. In the Mackie VLZ to Great River huge spectrum of pre quality, where do the Clarett pres lay? Are the driver instability issues related more to user error/ignorance (typical) or are they a real issue?

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - Same questions/issues as above, only cheaper and of lesser quality, but readily available now.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 AND Clarett OctoPre - 8 good channels of good mic pres, 8 channels of slightly less good mic pres (but still way better than Mackie VLZ?), and maybe only a couple hundred bucks more than the Clarett 8Pre USB. Catch is it would rely on the A/D conversion of the Scarlett. I couldn't find any information or comparison between Scarlett and Clarett converters. Anyone have any experience with both? Feed the Scarlett's ADAT In with the OctoPre's ADAT out, Scarlett's USB to my computer, and all sixteen channels available on my DAW?

RME UCX - seems to be highly regarded as much better than the Focusrite stuff above, although much more expensive but still within shouting distance of my budget... but... only two mic pres, and the price would obviate purchasing additional quality mic pres for me right now. I COULD wait... if the RME was truly a HUGE step up from the Focusrite stuff.

Questions -

Interface format - Currently have USB 2.0 only. For the stuff I do, any concrete advantage to a new laptop with 3.0 and/or Thunderbolt capability?

Missed options? - Anything other than what I've written above that I should consider given the goals?

ADAT optical - never used it. Apogee PSX100 has ADAT I/O, and can use them to spread higher resolution sample frequencies over multiple channels on an external recorder. Any way to put it's ADAT I/O to good use with any of the above products?

Wrap-up -

I've truly enjoyed using the Great River and Apogee, and get really frustrated when I need more than those two channels. Have not yet desired more than ten simultaneous channels, but could see using it if I had the capability. I'm not starving anymore. and want to be less frustrated.

Sorry for the longwindedness.... just trying to be clear, and I'd be grateful for any clear responses from personal experience with any mentioned gear or other gear I should consider

MUCH thanks...

Barry