Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Broadcasting Q? Announcing The Time On The Radio

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:12:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Mostly Masterclock here at CBC. Was Leitch for the longest of time... SMTPE LTC distributed to wall clocks.

that's all gone because of POE and NTP

Do note most radio isn't live at all...

APK
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!

One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
"Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eight"
That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

______
The talent for 1010 WINS occasionally read the wrong hour, and they all broadcast
locally, if even some from their homes during this pandemic.

I still wonder about that minute clock: "48m:35s" Does such a clock exist? Because that might also explain some instances of wrong hour.