Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Default UPS blew out power supply - how?

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:42:49 PM UTC-8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
nickbatz wrote:
A few weeks ago my UPS blew out the power supply to my main computer monitor - an old Apple 30" Cinema Display - forcing me to buy a new one (I couldn't wait for a replacement one to arrive).

Maybe. More likely the power supply on the monitor failed and took out the
UPS. To know for sure you'd have to know what failed on each.

Hah. I hadn't thought about that, but then I don't normally stand on my head.

In any case, I have a new power supply for the monitor (that I have to wire - the OEM one uses a proprietary plug with lots of tiny parallel wires instead of the two normal ones). Hopefully that's all that's gone.

But I don't know how to check the UPS beyond obvious things that you can see are damaged, nor do I have the inclination to waste a lot of time on it - for the reason Mike says: new batteries aren't a lot cheaper.