Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Pultec EQP clone problem

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 08:09:00 GMT, (Don Pearce) wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 20:58:52 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 1/03/2021 8:43 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 12:48:16 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 1/03/2021 8:55 am, Don Pearce wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 04:31:33 -0800 (PST), "

Since you won't get off your lazy arse and do the work, I've done it
for you. Of course I knew precisely what the result would be before I
started, but it was a boring Sunday evening so here goes.

https://youtu.be/-hQgI0eCO08

I think a spectrum analyser display would have been more relevant.

geoff

No it would not. The screen I showed illustrated perfectly that there
was no selective harmonic boosting going on. That would have resulted
in a beat walking through the ring. A rock-solid, edge-induced ring is
what I intended to show, and that is exactly what I did show. Now, how
about addressing the result?

I would be curious to see the oredrs of harmonics and if they altered
over freq.

geoff

They would. The same mechanism that produces ringing also makes a
tuned impedance changing network. That would produce a lift in
harmonic level in the same frequency range as the ringing. But that in
itself would no be ringing - just a raised harmonic level.
The word ringing is not an accident. The analogy with a bell being
struck is accurate.

Just a further thought. If the mechanism were selective harmonic
boosting, the ringing wave would be continuous - it would not die away
after the edge. The harmonics in a square wave don't come and go with
time. They are there all the way through the wave.