Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
-----------------------------

** There is no problem, other than how to sensibly measure the response of a headphone.
Using an imitation head with a tiny measurement mic buried inside the ear hole is ********.

This is true, but there are standard methods to measure them.

** Shame they all make the same mistake.

But... headphones are designed with those resonances in mind.

** No they are not - cos it is not possible.

And it's hard
for headphone designers to work around some of those resonances..

** The word is "impossible".
There are no such design features.

if it were
easy, there woudn't be so many different-sounding headphones out there.

** They are way closer to each other than speakers.

The outer ear and ear canal does NOT create response anomalies for the * owner * of that ear.
The person's brain tunes them out so we hear sounds correctly.

Right. That's the problem. When you put on headphones, it's like putting
on someone else's ears and all of that brain training goes out the window.

** This is just plain nonsense, based on your previous nonsense.

Fraid you are using "wall to wall " thinking when every idea backs up the others in a crazy loop.

For example, you're used to having a notch caused by reflections off your
shoulders. You use that to some extent to judge height of a sound source.
Where that notch is depends on your shoulder and neck geometry. So if you
try to emulate it in headphones to make the headphones sound more natural,
the place to put it is different for you and for me because our brains are
adapted for different bodies.

** Shame that is worse nonsense.

ES headphones are almost acoustically transparent, creating no trapped space for resonance to exist.
Other types having a weak air seal are not very different.

Yes, it's MUCH easier to do if you can go with an open-back design.

** Most hi-fi head phones are open types.

But it also kind of defeats much of the purpose of headphones.

** It does not.