Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

On 2/20/2021 2:38 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 11:44:44 -0500, Neil
wrote:

On 2/19/2021 11:58 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 19/02/2021 10:30 am, Neil wrote:
On 2/18/2021 2:08 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:23:02 -0500, Neil
wrote:

No. Small rooms vs smaller rooms. The physics doesn't change.

Perhaps if that "room" is an an-echoic chamber...ÂÂ* 8-)

--
best regards,

Neil

No. Anechoic chambers don't have an acoustic size - they simulate
infinite space.

They also don't have reflective surfaces that lead to phase issues
such as cancellations and boosts. Most listening rooms DO have those
problems, while earphones do not.

Actually the acoustic space within headphone earcups do cause problems
too. Even the space within your ear canal! And problems in rooms can be
reduced by acoustic treatment.

At least we agree about some aspect of this. But, the problems within
headphone earcups are minor compared to their non-liner response curves.

What headphones are you using that are so non-linear? Ear buds or
something by Dr. Dre I presume. Get some decent ones - they are far
more linear than any loudspeaker. Personally I use Stax
electrostatics.

Perhaps you should look into the subject rather than make such claims. I
provided a link that presents the frequency linearity in my other reply
to you.

Headphones are all very different, and in many cases are
special-purpose. I prefer my Sennheisers to most others for listening to
mixes and such, and even the ones that are pushing 50 years old still
work well. OTOH, my David Clark headphones work quite well when I'm
flying a plane because they reduce the engine noise and optimize
communications with the control tower. But, they'd suck for listening to
music as badly as the Sennheisers would suck for flying.

So, what headphones you prefer is quite OK, but I doubt that I need
"better" ones.

--
best regards,

Neil