Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default AT U857QI

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:
I just bought an Audio-Technica AT U857QI. It's very dark to the point
that I wonder if something is wrong with it. What's a fair test to
evaluate the mic? The response curve doesn't indicate that it has a high
frequency rolloff.

Does it sound different if you switch the polarity?

It's the same mic now being used for the litigants on Judge Judy. It
sounds great there. Are they EQ'ing the hell out of it?

I don't know. I hate these stalk microphones. Everybody is using them now
because they sound closer and have better GBF than a microphone on the lectern
but too few people actually know how to use them and you wind up with a
lot of popping and grinding noises. Speakers move them around and they are
never pointed in the right place, which in the case of the cardioid version
leads to them sounding muffled, of course.