Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Any opinions on OC818 ?

sTeeVee wrote:
The Sound on Sound review is quite revealing. The secret sauce to me is the=
Polar Designer app that is targeted at this mic. Everything else being equ=
al, I think we are starting to see some expansion of the ambisonic paradigm=
into "simpler" configurations. Being able to fine-tune a "double-mid-side=
with height" (effectively a "component" approach to ambisonic mic'ing) for=
instance, will be, IMHO increasingly relevant as time goes on. I like the =
effort of Austrian Audio to include the software.

It's not exactly fancy software, it's just summing.

Plenty of folks have made microphones with remote pattern control...
Neumann did it back in the sixties and Josephson makes some excellent
ones today.

And yes, the Josephson system will let you pull out the pressure and velocity
signals separately so you can mix them at your will to make any pattern you
like.