Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Recommend me a valve amp to go with Quad ESL 63s

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 1:28:43 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 10:47:54 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I believe that it will need at least 35W per channel.

The 520F has 100 wpc/rms/8 ohms.
The Quad ESL63 gives 86dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. Not very efficient.
35WPC *will not* sound anything like 100 WPC. You will miss that headroom.
Badly.

Badly? BADLY? Really?

Assuming the ratings are real, 35 W is hardly "badly" lower than
100W, only 4.5 dB.

There are a goodly number of 60+ & 75+ WPC tube amps out there,
and I would start there.

Okay, these are "barely" 3 dB more than 35W, and 3 dB barely makes it
to a JND without careful close omparisone, and more difficult audibly
assuming the gain of each is the same AND the only audible comparison
is in headroom.

Here is one source for non-Chinese *NEW* units at reasonable prices.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA