Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Subwoofer amplifiers

In article ,
"Howard Davis" wrote:

A direct-coupled solid state amp, whether class D or AB, is best for driving
a subwoofer.

I avoid Behringer products because this company is notorious for copying the
designs of existing products, cheapening them, and selling them at a lower
price than the originals.

Could you please cite one example where they have done this? I'm not
necessarily disagreeing with you, but I've never seen any of their
products as copies of anyone else's. Now a lot of their products are
very similar to product sold under the Alesis and/or Peavy name, but I
understand that's because they are all three built in China by the same
parent company

A tube amp for a subwoofer? FORGET ABOUT IT!

Yeah, not a great idea. You can get far better bottom end performance
much cheaper with a solid state power amp for subwoofers.

No practical tube-based amp has the necessary low frequency power bandwidth
to function down to 16Hz or lower as well as it does in the midrange and
high end.

While there are tube amps that would fulfill this function (like the VTL
Siegfried, for instance), the operative word here is "practical".