Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Technics amp problem

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
m...
"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
I've got an older Technics amp (no tuner) that gets crackly on both
channels after it runs about 30 minutes or so. Sounds fine when you
start it up. Switches and pots have all been cleaned. Any
suggestions? I'm guessing power supply but not sure what it could
be. Do the big caps start leaking after they get hot?

James,

While I don't disagree with the other posters, look to see if your unit
uses an STK IC driver module, something like an STK-3042 or an STK-3076,
among dozens of different numbers and variations. I have certainly seen
this series of IC's, especially if the design does not include a heat
sink go bad in the way you describe. It could also be an output IC,
especially a stereo one, since its effecting both channels. You might
try looking at the soldering on the IC's, or hitting them with some
freeze mist once the crackling starts.

Of course, your amp might not use them at all, which would make my post
sort of useless. If you put out another posting, please include the
model of your amp.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Thanks. It's a technics su-8044 and it does have the stk amps in it. The
stk0039n to be exact. Looks like they are on a fairly decent heat sink.
Last time I looked at any of those stk amps some were cheap and some where
hard to find. The unit is 40w per channel.

**As previously stated, this is your #1 suspect. Hit it with the freezer
spray (after it warms up) and see what happens. As also stated, check the IC
carefully for dry joints.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au