Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] vwmicrobus@gmail.com is offline

Default Restoring a Sherwood S-5000

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:32:18 PM UTC-5, hugeshows wrote:
... And please, these are my test speakers. Yes I know the cones are dirty thank you very much. -forkinthesocket

Finally had a chance to get back, it's been quite a week of keeping FM radio working in my area (my current day-job)

You will be pleased to know that I have the same Tannoy speakers as you (but mine are clean!) Funny story as to how I got them, a certain TV station I used to work for got a package deal for a monitoring station, and it included these Tannoy speakers. They would not fit in the space alloted, so I traded them for a set of Optimus bookshelf speakers (the smallest they made) and we were both lived happily ever after...

So my line voltage is 120.6 VAC with the same meter.. I put the amp on a variac and brought the line voltage to 110VAC and got close to the same measurements as you did. Does the primary transformer have voltage taps?? I didn't really look hard.

I hope I am not destroying anything by continuing on such high voltages.. power tubes are disposable, they are not anything special, but I don't want to cook the amp or the preamp tubes.

--JRC