Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Zarathustra SACD/DSD

On 13/05/2021 7:41 pm, Nil wrote:
On 12 May 2021, John Hardy wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

On 5/12/2021 7:31 PM, Nil wrote:

Thanks for that - interesting discussion by people who would know
better than I. Nobody mentions the Bohm/Berlin version as a
favorite, but it's the one I've heard the most so it sounds most
right to me. The Karajan/Vienna film version is similar and also
excellent, but the pipe organ bits don't have the same impact for
me.

I vote for the Bohm/Berlin version from 1958, available in a
variety of collections. (Beware the CBS Records version, there is
a ton of subsonic stuff that will make your woofers come
unhinged).

When 2001 A Space Odyssey was released in 1968, I did not go to
see it. But I did buy the official LP soundtrack, which included
the Bohm/Berlin version of Zarathustra. I played Zarathustra often
and LOUD. It was very exhilarating. It wasn't until years later
that I saw the movie and heard the Karajan version. Frankly, I was
disappointed in the Karajan version. It seemed to be missing the
intensity and tension and emotion of the epic battle that the
piece supposedly represents. The Bohm/Berlin version, in my humble
opinion, nailed it.

I have no idea how the piece was intended to be played by Strauss,
but I love the Bohm/Berlin version, played LOUD. REALLY LOUD. On
my long list of things to do that I will likely never get to, is
to remaster the movie with the Bohm/Berlin version in place of the
Karajan version.

But I am no expert on classical music. Just one guy's opinion.

John Hardy

I did see 2001 when it first came out, several times, including three
times in Cinerama. I was nuts about that movie. To see the dramatic
opening and closing scenes on a fresh print on a huge, wraparound
Cinerama screen, and yes, it was LOUD LOUD LOUD... the experience
impressed me for life. The Von Karajan version was completely up to the
task in that environment.

Still love the movie, especially as some of the themes become
increasingly credible !

Talking about LOUD and woofers - when I first got the Telarc 1812 LP I
thought somebody had dropped a chisel on the grooves ;- )

geoff