Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

Default kicker square sub

Captain Howdy wrote:
What is the warranty on the same non refurbished speaker? If it's something
like a year then avoid the refurbished ones at all cost. high end woofers get
refurbished all the time, but Im not sure what kind of effort goes into
refurbishing car audio woofers that the factory sells to wholesalers for $20.

I mentioned that I wouldn't care about the warranty, but I might be
jumping the gun a little.. Maybe.. I haven't ever blown a sub in 15
or so years, I think I've owned 5 boxes in that time: MTX, MTX, RF,
Kicker, and JL. The early stuff came from stores, the recent stuff is
all off ebay. No refurbished stuff. If refurbished subs have a
significantly higher fail rate than new ones, then maybe it'd be wise
to avoid em. Basically, the price difference has to be enough to cover
the difference in fail rate.

I HAVE blown some cheap crap amps, like pyramid/rockwood in my early
stupid days when I was dumb and didn't konw the difference.. But he's
talking about Kickers here, a company I have very high regards for..
I've transplanted the same 2 kicker amps from car to car for maybe 10
years and 4 cars.

It's like when I bought a $500 video camera at best buy, I declined the
optional 3 yr warranty for $100. If I bought 5 of them, I could save
the $500 and just buy a new one if one broke. If the camera's fail
rate is higher than 20% in 3 years, then you should get the warranty...
Otherwise it's a waste of $$.. I may be wrong, maybe lucky, but IME
warranties are almost always a waste of $$. Same thing applies for
buying cheap gear off ebay, or refurbished gear, etc.. vs new stuff
from a retail outlet.