Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default kicker square sub

MOSFET wrote:
area over a given area) than round woofers.

That's the hype I always heard about em,

Hype? What I said wasn't hype, it was common sense. I'll make this simple.
Ever make cookies in your life?

You roll out the dough so it's flat. Then you cut out your cookies with a
round cookie cutter. You WILL find that you have lots of dough left over.
This left over dough represents space on a large subwoofer baffle (like on
SPL vehicles) that COULD have been used for cone area. Now do the same thing
but cut the cookies square. You will have a lot less leftover dough.

Except cookies don't have to worry about distortion-free excursion. Yes, IN
THEORY a square sub is a more efficient design, but to be accurate, the whole
thing has to move in and out evenly, and that's a lot trickier with a square
design. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not as easy as with a round
design (although the increased surface area does let you get away with less
excursion needed to move the same amount of air).

Basically it comes down to, if it really was that much better, everyone would be
doing it, and round subs would have vanished long ago.