Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Default Glass walls

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

I am contemplating buying a house with a screened in back porch I want
to close off for an office and music room. My wife wants to replace the
screens with windows. That will leave me with mostly windows on three
sides and Hardiplank, a cement based exterior clapboard siding, on the
fourth.

What kind of problems am I going to have? My current room is
double-layered 5/8" wall board on 12" studs. It is pretty solid. It is
also tapered to reduce any standing wave problems. This room is all new
to me and I'm not sure what I am getting into.

With 3 glass and one hardiplank wall, the bass will go right through and
the treble will bounce around.

I'd suggest that you will need some very thick curtains on some of the
walls to reduce the bouncing, and some clever positioning (maybe
nearfield) so that the loss of the bass is not too apparent.

If you can make the room walls other than parallel this would help. A
sloping ceiling would also be an advantage.

What are the dimensions of this new room?

Greg