Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Pro-ject 1.2 turntable has ground to a halt

On Jan 5, 3:54=A0pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

I have an approximately 10 year old Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable. Over the
last year, the big heavy platter has begun scraping as it spins, and
has finally ground to a halt. If I elevate the platter, by putting a
shim (two old CDs) between it and the sub-platter, that elevates it
enough that it spins again, but with lots of wobble. Obviously not an
ideal fix.

I don't know what's happening, but I'm guessing the sub-platter (which
is what actually spins, driven by the motor/belts) has descended/sunk
a bit.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this turntable? Is there
any way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

**Common problem with some of the Pro-Ject TTs. The platter sags! Remove =

the
mat and look at the platter from the side. You will probably note that th=

outer rim has saged, relative to the spindle. Cheap, crappy die casting I
guess. The only effective solution is to replace the platter. Your local
distributor may still have stocks. Otherwise, you're screwed. It is not
acceptable to use the platter in that condition.

--
Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au

You are guesing that it is a die cast platter? Pro Ject does use MDF
for it's platters on a few of their cheapest models. Could the Pro
Ject 1.2 be using MDF?
http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...ables&lang=3D=
en
"=95 The resonance-optimised platter is made of medium density fibre."
http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...urntables&lan=
g=3Den
"=95 MDF platter with felt mat "