Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Pro-ject 1.2 turntable has ground to a halt

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message

On 1/11/2011 9:56 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
Dick Pierce wrote:

Are you SERIOUS? The platter has sagged? Please!

Pretty weird.

**I just spoke with a mate who is very experienced in
all kinds of metal-working technology. He said that such
a problem, whilst unusual in good quality castings, is
certainly not unheard of. Apparently, die casting causes
all kinds of stresses in the material, which if not
controlled, can lead to cracking and/or the deformation
I described.

Merely another claim, and no less an extraordinary one at
that.

Detroit, being an automobile-making town, has a lot of die casting activity
going on. I've heard from plant engineers of unfortunate things happening,
particularly related to casting the cases of automatic transmissions, which
are large and relatively thin. Massive cracking under stress and leaks due
to porosity while unusual, do happen. However, having a casting slump under
its own weight is AFAIK totally unheard of.

Pro-ject truntables are said to be made in the once-communist Czech Republic
in a factory that was actively making turntables during the decades of
ruinous Soviet control. Iron curtain countries have a sad but lengthy
history of cut corners and poor quality products. They may have figured out
ways to cut corners that are even unheard of in Detroit! ;-)