Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Roy Roy is offline

Default Pro-ject 1.2 turntable has ground to a halt

Thanks for the advice. I'll pursue!

On Jan 2, 12:06=A0pm, Bill Noble wrote:
On 1/1/2011 12:04 PM, Roy wrote:

I have an approximately 10 year old Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable. Over the
last year, the big heavy platter has begun scraping as it spins, and
has finally ground to a halt. If I elevate the platter, by putting a
shim (two old CDs) between it and the sub-platter, that elevates it
enough that it spins again, but with lots of wobble. Obviously not an
ideal fix.

I don't know what's happening, but I'm guessing the sub-platter (which
is what actually spins, driven by the motor/belts) has descended/sunk
a bit.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this turntable? Is there
any way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

without looking at the specific TT, I would be willing to guarantee you
that the TT has a suspension that has sagged, it probably has some
rubber or plastic components (grommets, maybe) that have compressed or
expanded, replace them, or shim them, not the platter to sub platter
mating surface. =A0It should cost almost nothing to repair unless the
suspension components need to be replaced, and then cost would depend on
how you elected to fix them. =A0I've had similar issues when I used a
Craftsman TT (no, not Sears, the UK company), and it used short lengths
of elastic rubber for the suspension.