Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.hardware
kony kony is offline

Default Seeking USB sound card recommendation

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:41:54 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:16:56 +1000, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message
I built myself a new computer. Unfortunately the sound card on the
motherboard turned out to be not very good.

To experiment with a USB soundcard, I got Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1.
It was around 60 bucks at Fry's.

I am finding that the sound quality is pretty good. However, I don't
think I will ever use the features I see on this card. My main goal is
to convert some older tapes and records. Occasionally I may listen to
some MP3s through my computer speakers.

So I'm wondering if there is anything similar to this Creative
soundcard that may be cheaper but gives me about the same quality.

Almost anything! :-)
However since you already have the Creative, why exactly are you looking for
something similar now?

The cheapskate probably wants to exchange it for something cheaper
following the age old advice of "if it works, fix it". He'll continue
the process until he gets sometihng that doesn't work.

Probably true, though Kompu Kid was off to a pretty bad
start if looking for cost effectiveness instead of features
and chosing Creative... and thinking $60 was a low price for
merely needing sound I/O for low-fi tapes and records.

For tapes and records the motherboard line-in would probably
be quite fine to record them, though the record player would
probably need go through an amp/pre-amp instead of direct to
a sound card line-in jack.