Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Best Vertically polarized FM Antenna ??

"James" wrote in message
net
I have a vacation cabin located in the mountains, at 4200
feet above sea level. We get good tv, with a
directional antenna, from stations up to 150 miles away.

We are within "tuning" distance of literally hundreds of
fm radio stations, from all directions.

I have just purchased the new Sony XDRF1HD HD Radio
Tuner, and I want to experiment with listening to HD FM
radio stations available in my area. I do NOT want a
directional antenna.

I know that a simple cross-polarized fm antenna would be
a pretty decent antenna at this height, but I would like
something different, and it seems that I have seen or
heard of a fairly new vertical fm antenna. I am also
not sure if it is an amplified antenna or not. Although
I don't rule out an amplified antenna, I don't think that
I need one.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a very good,
high quality, vertically polarized fm antenna ? I would
prefer comments from people who have actually used them,
or at least has a friend that has the product recommended.

Get an amateur radio whip antenna that is at least four and a half feet
long. This would proably be an antenna for the ham's 6 meter band. Trim it
until it is exactly 4.5 feet long and remove any loading coils, etc that
may have been attached to it. Connect the coax center conductor to the base
of the insulated whip, and the coax shielding to some nearby piece of metal.
Ideally the metal would be horizontal, surround the insulated base of the
whip and extend out at least 6 feet. Add a good well-grounded coax
lightning arrestor and run the coax to your FM radio.