Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default The Big High-Resolution Download Rip-off

Audio Empire wrote:

These Hi-Rez downloads are too expensive. Downloadable "software" is
one of the few consumer items that a seller can sell over and over
again and still have. There is no manufacturing cost, no warehousing
cost, no shipping cost and no left-over stock when the item is
obsoleted for whatever reason.

I don't know about that. Without the high price, HDTracks et al
wouldn't be in the business and there wouldn't be any hi-res
downloads.

But it makes the high cost of downloaded music seem even more out of
place when one finds out that the hi-rez one thought one was buying,
is really not.

Indeed, but we don't know whose fault that is. I asked one firm which
of their downloads really were originated in hi-res digital, and they
told me that they received their hi-res files directly from the record
labels themselves, and they didn't know exactly which process was used
to generate the files.

Andrew.