Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
David Nebenzahl

Default Possible to recombine crossed over (split) component speakerwires?

Mr.T spake thus:

"Matt Ion" wrote in message

Mr.T wrote:

"Matt Ion" wrote in message

Randy said that the crossovers are internal to the amps - the signal is
apparently already summed going into the amps.

I think he meant it was split *before* going into the existing amps.

Well if that's what he MEANT, he didn't SAY it very well.

Agreed.

The exact words were, "But the crossovers lie WITHIN (emphasis mine)
the front and rear amps."

Yes, but what do you think that means? The only way I can read it
is to assume the "amps" have an active crossover inbuilt. In
other words the signal is split BEFORE being separately
amplified, NOT "summed" before being amplified as you stated.

You misread. I meant it's a summed signal that's being piped into the
amps.

No, it's just a full band signal that has not been split *OR* summed.

The amps may contain either active or passive crossovers
(probably the former, but either way, it's immaterial to this problem).

A crossover prior to amplification is an active crossover by definition.

What it comes down to is, if he want's to merely swap out speakers, he
needs to use coaxials or components; anything else means adding and/or
replacing amps, since the existing amps don't provide a full-range output.

Why on earth would he want to use a single cone speaker anyway?
Let's face it, he has no idea what he is doing, and uninformed speculation
serves no purpose..

Where on earth are you getting this? I thought the O.P.'s message was
pretty clear. He has a bi-amped (or possibly tri-amped) system, with the
crossovers in the amplifier. He doesn't like what he feels are crappy
speakers, which he seems perfectly well aware are separate woofers,
tweeters (and maybe midranges). He wants to replace the speakers. What
part of that don't you get?

Sheesh, the smug superiority level in here is almost as high as the
reading comprehension level seems to be low.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"