Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default Possible to recombine crossed over (split) component speaker wires?

I'm sorry, but for the life of me I just don't understand what the Sam hill
is going on here.

Everybody has been chiming in like this is a really basic question, and
maybe I'm going to feel like a real dummy afterwards, but the best Professor
I ever had used to say the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get
asked. If the signal is full-bandwidth before it goes into one of these
X-overs, why don't you just use THAT signal. I am COMPLETELY unclear as to
why COMBINING is necessary AT ALL! Is there something I missed? I reread
the OP four times just to be sure.

MOSFET

"Randy" wrote in message
news
I need to upgrade the crappy component speakers in my car. But the
crossovers lie within the front and rear amps. I really don't want to have
to replace the amps. The quotes I've seen thus far are about $2000 to
replace just the front speakers and amp, and a front/rear solution $3000 or
more. That's nuts.

Is it possible to connect the two wires for the tweeter and woofer in
order to regenerate the original unsplit signal? I suspect this may do
interesting things to impedance, but it seems like it ought to be possible
with some fiddling (and a lot cheaper than reamping).

BTW, it's a 2002 BMW 3 series coupe with the Harmon Kardon 12 speaker
abomination.

Thanks,

Randy