Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Default Possible to recombine crossed over (split) component speakerwires?

Mr.T wrote:
"Geoff@home" wrote in message

Randy wrote:

I need to upgrade the crappy component speakers in my car. But the
crossovers lie within the front and rear amps. I really don't want to
have to replace the amps. The quotes I've seen thus far are about
$2000 to replace just the front speakers and amp, and a front/rear
solution $3000 or more. That's nuts.

Is it possible to connect the two wires for the tweeter and woofer in
order to regenerate the original unsplit signal?

No.

Not directly connect the wires maybe, but it's quite easy to mix the two
signals and feed them into a single amp. At it's simplest, a couple of 5
cent resistors would work as a mixer. It should be easier to derive a
complete signal direct from the head unit though.

Randy said that the crossovers are internal to the amps - the signal is
apparently already summed going into the amps.

And a word of warning, adding resistors AFTER the amp, the mixing would
work IN THEORY but they'd burn up in about 10 seconds once you actually
put any power through them.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-0, 05/02/2006
Tested on: 5/2/2006 10:14:48 AM