Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
Mr.T

Default Possible to recombine crossed over (split) component speaker wires?

"Geoff@home" wrote in message
Randy wrote:
I need to upgrade the crappy component speakers in my car. But the
crossovers lie within the front and rear amps. I really don't want to
have to replace the amps. The quotes I've seen thus far are about
$2000 to replace just the front speakers and amp, and a front/rear
solution $3000 or more. That's nuts.

Is it possible to connect the two wires for the tweeter and woofer in
order to regenerate the original unsplit signal?

No.

Not directly connect the wires maybe, but it's quite easy to mix the two
signals and feed them into a single amp. At it's simplest, a couple of 5
cent resistors would work as a mixer. It should be easier to derive a
complete signal direct from the head unit though.

If the OP told us exactly what is wrong with the current system and what he
hopes to achieve with the "upgrade", it would be possible to speculate
further. It seems to me that the original system is designed to be better
than standard fare for car systems, so doing anything on the cheap is
unlikely to be an improvement. Remember also that a large part of the
expense quoted is probably for the labor involved.

Remember also that all two way or three way car speakers require a frequency
split anyway, and it's usually a simple matter to remove the crossover
capacitor if you just want to replace speakers and use the current amps. Of
course checking for a suitable crossover frequency for the new drivers would
be required.

MrT.