anahata

Joe Kesselman wrote:

Yep. What gets onto disk is not necessarily just the bits you provided.
I _think_ data CD filesystems do carry some error correction coding, but
I'd have to dig out the spec or consult my nonresident expert to be sure.

Not the filesystem exactly, but when a CD is written in data format (as
opposed to audio), a different (or additional) low level error
correction mechanism is used, which can fully correct higher error rates
by using more redundancy. That's why the raw capacity of a CD with a
file system on it is 650Mb, while for audio it is 750Mb.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk