Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Vellman tube kits

On 10/23/10 04:09, Patrick Turner so witilly quipped:
One wonders how a kit can be prepared for the price and still generate
a profit, hence my concerns that parts are sourced from China. Not
everything from China is crook though. So let's not assume anything.
Its just that I have had a number of Chinese made amps land on my
bench for drastic surgery to remove the inbuilt fire crackers so
blithely included by our Chinese friends....

I ran the numbers and guessed that (minus chassis) the parts would
individually cost around $1000 or so (excluding any taxes and shipping).
A tube amp kit for a guitar (different source) runs around $500
(single channel) for a bit less power, but is close to my estimate of
$1000 for 90W/channel stereo. And those are retail prices, not dealer
prices on the parts.

So I'd guess they're making money (which is good, for a number of
reasons). I'm guessing the added value would be the instructions,
support, and that really shiny chassis with the chrome thingies around
the tube sockets, and not having to extrapolate all of the discrete
component values from the tube specs.