Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Vellman tube kits

On Oct 20, 5:36*pm, "Edward Morris" wrote:
Hello,
* * I'm interested in Velleman tube amp kits. *Does anyone know if Velleman
has quality products?

Thanks,
Eddie

Pay no attention to the wailing willies on RAT; they're talking
through the backs of their necks; I fell about laughing when I read
that crap in this thread about the transformers in this amp: Velleman
uses very desirable transformers built to the highest standard by
Amplimo, a European company whose factory I've actually visited;
Amplimo was chosen by Menno van der Veen, the world's leading audio
transformer designes, to build the monster toroidal outputs for my
custom kilowatt SV511-3 amp (80W SE -- this is heavy duty gear). Any
Velleman kit is the good stuff, and the Velleman EL34 PP amp is a
particularly good one. I've built one and operated it for years, and
still have it. It is good for thumping performance to about 18W in
Class A (yes, that's not a misprint, this is a monster of an amp) and
in Class B it stretches to well over 100W. At earsaving volumes the
distortion is basically nil. You can't get the beautiful stainless
steel casework made for what you pay for the entire amp. If you go
wrong in the build, Velleman guarantees to fix it for you, and the
entire thing is upgradeable (careful, most of those parts work very
well together -- in the end my permanent changes amounted to dumping
one ceramic cap...). The Velleman EL34 kits is one of abiding bargains
in tube amp kits, very likely the greatest of them all; I know of only
one better EL34 kit, made by Audio Innovations, and that cost about
twice as much as the Velleman kit, was limited to a total output of
around what the Velleman would do in Class A alone, and hasn't been
made in almost twenty years. See my review of the Velleman in Glass
Audio for more information and opinion.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review