View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster

Default Guitar amp tone control calculators

Is there a better calculator around for tone controls which allows any combination of R&C to be used? I don't wish to use a circuit simulation program..

I have the offending Fender Deluxe on my and will eventually figure a decent mod so it sounds better - I hope - and as a result of applied science rather than applied BS.

Patrick Turner

Hi Patrick,

why not measure the values of the aged components of the tonestack and
"clone it"?

The older good Fender pots usually don't change R values much.

I plotted the response carefully though.

second - the big variable in "Sound" is the speaker. It changes more
than a little bit. Especially with the DRRI.

Well yes, but Its worth a shot to re-engineer the tone controls.
I have heard fabulous music from modern speakers, even though they have a bad reputation with many musos who I sometimes think have irrational fondness to items from the "good old days". Not all their opinions are wrong though, and this time the amp owner was dead right about what he hears. OK, let me try something rather than blindly copying, and if the guy is happy, then mission accomplished and I am the wiser for it.

AFAIK the TSC is the only readily available software. And it only does
the tonestack. It does not cover the "bright switch" - or cap, nor the
cap across the isolation resistor of the reverb and so on...

Yes, seems like TSC is all there is, and was made up by a Mr Woodgate who seems non-contactable. I may be FORCED to learn how to simulate with R&C and a decent simulation program that accurately predicts response of any R&C network one is likely to compose.

Ampeg have a Baxandal type of tone control, no cheapy silly "stacks".

I'll have another look at Ampeg circuits. ,have

regards Jochen

Patrick Turner.