Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default A Brief History of CD DBTs

On Friday, January 11, 2013 8:28:45 PM UTC-8, KH wrote:
On 1/11/2013 1:26 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

On Friday, January 11, 2013 7:20:46 AM UTC-8, Arny Krueger wrote:

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message

I would be interested in your thoughts about the following.

First, it seems to me that it's possible that there could be two
signals, say three minutes of music each, where I can't distinguish
one signal from the other when I compare them, switching back and
forth, but where, nonetheless, I get greater pleasure from listening
to the first one (in its entirety) than to the second.

The above is obviously self-contradictory.

Oh? I don't think that's necessarily true at all. People find that they "like"
one thing over another without being able to tell anybody why all the time.

Precisely. But the "why" is irrelevant in this context. No matter the
reason, if you consistently "like" A over B, you clearly have identified
a difference. *That* is the point *I* was making earlier.

I think that the point is that you have clearly "identified" nothing,
You have merely noticed a phenomenon. When one has identified a
difference, one can point to it and say something like: "This
component has noticeable high-frequency distortion". or "this
component's frequency response is too forward in the upper midrange".
That's what I consider "identifying" a difference. Noticing that one
gets less listening fatigue from this component, or more enjoyment
from that one without being able to actually pin-down the cause, is
something else again,