Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message

John Fields wrote:
You're both right as long as you don't say that Dick is
wrong, per my question. ;-)

Well, you asked about linear mixing and he replied by
stating that that would create sidebands, which it will
not. :-)

NO I didn't. Someone asked about how continuous sine waves
can have an envelope, someone else described it as
"amplitude modulate" and I simply described one case as
an example where an amplitude-modulated waveform can be
decomposed into component, continuous sine waves. I never
attempted or intended to describe how the process of
modulation takes place, only how a collection of
component sine waves can lead to that result.

The important point is that one can create an amplitude modulated
(enveloped) signal by simple linear mixing of the right signals, or one can
use that well-known nonlinear process called Amplitude Modulation. One also
can also create a frequency modulated signal by simple linear mixing of a
different and often far more complex collection of signals.