Posted to rec.audio.high-end
WVK WVK is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

--
Best regards,
Wayne Van Kirk
ACP International
713-641-6413
http://www.acpinternational.com/
"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:34:17 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 13, 11:32 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

I said;
"You seem to have been claiming that standard
measurements predict that all CDPs sound the same"

There are goodly number of CD players, whether by design or due to
partial
failure, produce signals that are so degraded that they will even sound
different.

So they don't all sound the same. No argument there. I have heard
differences. Heck it was the common claim that there were no
differences that lead me to buy an inferior product the first time
out. Oh well. Lesson learned. Don't pay attention to nonsense like
"Audiophiles routinely claim audible difference among classes of
devices whose typical measured performance does not predict audible
difference -- CDPs and cables, for example. (assuming level-matching
for output devices, of course). " Clearly alleged typical meausred
performance" doesn't tell us jack about any given product's actual
sound.

True for active devices like CDPs, false for passive conductors like
Interconnects and cables. There is simply NO way a properly made cable or
interconnect can have a "sound". If it does its because the manufacturer
PURPOSELY added components to those cables to alter their frequency
response
and that sound is subtracting fidelity from the music being played, not
adding fidelity to it. I.E. If a cable or interconnect changes the sound
of
one's system, it is NOT in a good way. At any rate who wants to spend
hundreds of dollars for a set of "fixed" tone controls?

I have heard a obvious difference with interconnects. An audiophile friend
switched from one to the other.
One made, a not so good mono recording (Byrd's), duller the other sparkled
by comparison.
Not a scientific test but I believe that the differences were great enought
to be measured.

WVK