Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

And I'm talking about perceiving differences in audio
reproduction equipment when reproducing music, as
evaluated using ABX.

ABX is known to work very well.

Where's the beef?

This is irrelevant...if their is a statistical difference
in the monadic test, it can either be at threshold or
above threshold...but that is irrelevant as the fact will
be that it is perceived (again, the statistical
evaluation says so). It is then the ABX test's job to
show that the same difference is perceived under ABX
conditions.

In numerous circumstances, audible differences that had been ascertained by
other scientific methods have been confirmed by ABX tests. I know of no
example where ABX failed. The only area of controversy with ABX and other
widely used scientific testing methods relates to audiophiles and audiophile
merchandisers who repeatedly fail to confirm the results they find with
sighted evaluations. This seems to be very easy to explain without impugning
ABX or any of the other scientific testing methodologies.