Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gigastudio unusable?

On 12/22/2016 8:42 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
A lot of folks are running software like that.
I'm surprised given the popularity of Gigastudio that people have not been
petitioning Tascam to release the source code into the wild under license.

I don't know how much of Gigastudio TASCAM got when they bought it, but
it's possible that there are parts of it that they don't really own, but
which Giga licensed from someone else who's no longer in business, and
that license was transferred to TASCAM without any rights other than to
use it in their own version of the product.

People have been pestering Mackie to release the code for the hard disk
recorders so someone can update them. While Mackie doesn't plan to use
that code or anything else in it again, the operating system kernel
(which isn't anything common like Windows or Linux) came from elsewhere
and they don't own any rights to that other than to distribute it with
the product. Everything's compiled into a single file. One of the
problems with it is that the driver for graphics card is in the
compilation, so only a limited range of cards will work with it, and
they're getting scarcer than hen's teeth and aren't clearly identifiable
anyway. Replacing parts (including the motherboard) isn't as simple as
it is in a plain old Windows PC.