Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Sooloos

I got my first opportunity to play with Sooloos recently.

Is it neat? Well, yeah. But it is what it is, commodisumo computer
hardware in chic, trendy styling with a dedicated embedded OS (I never
could figure out what it runs, so it is well embedded: My guess is
some flavor of Linux or QNX.) It's a nicer software package than what
can be bought for standalone hardware.

Worth the money? Well, if you have a LOT of money maybe. But a iMac
with some good custom software and a couple of good outboard DACs and
distribution amps, could do as much a lot cheaper. I doubt whether
you could have that software written for the same cost as a Sooloos,
but if Sooloos succeeds, it should provide some inspiration, and in
that sense it's a good thing. Plus, I have to admit that even for
chic, trendy styling hardware, it IS well styled indeed.

And, as a former and current Blad user I like the square format
screen.