Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

On 5/02/2019 9:19 am, geoff wrote:
On 5/02/2019 8:48 AM, nickbatz wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 10:08:17 AM UTC-7, Mike Rivers wrote:

Unless you have a serious EMI problem, adding transformers won't give
you any other enhancements.

I don't know why the transformer changes the color, but anyone who has
a Millennia Media STT-1 will agree with me that switching it in or out
of the circuit definitely does.

It's probably due to nonlinear, artifact, and other words that make me
sound extremely intelligent.

But as Mike wrote, NOT "enhancements".

I guess when 'in' it becomes a type of filter, then there are iron
losses in the transformer, non-linearity ;-), and frequency response
limitations.

.... which is why I think transformers (and tape) are often described as
having 'warmth' and 'mellow'.

And vinyl.