Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Audiophiles' Delight: Vinyl LPs Still Sell

"Chronic Philharmonic" wrote in
message news:w90uk.33$Dj1.32@trnddc02

Yeah, I had a lot invested in vinyl when CDs came out.

Ditto.

But I always had a love-hate relationship with vinyl.

Ditto, just like tubes.

I knew how good it could sound, but it rarely did. It took
a lot of maintenance to keep it sounding good, and even
then the sound inevitably deteriorated. CDs were cheap,
accurate and repeatable. Hi-fi for the masses. I think
that was the problem. Any old kid on a skateboard could
afford truly high fidelity without even caring or
appreciating the concept.

Agreed. As soon as CD players got to be cheap and plentiful, the CD format
became a target for the high end ragazines. After all, they were minting so
much money from ads by vinyl-centric retailers and manufacturers.