Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Audiophiles' Delight: Vinyl LPs Still Sell

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

There are ways that acoustic music NEVER sounds,

Exactly, acoustic music never has rumble, tics, pops,
inner groove distortion, rolled off highs and lows, etc.
Yet I have yet to hear an LP that fails to have one or
more of those failings. I've visited the homes of
audiophiles with tens of thousands in audio gear, but
yet when they play vinyl, one or more of those failings
is audible. I've been to what are alleged to be some of
the best high end audio shows around, and even in
carefully-setup listening rooms, the vinyl always has
one or more of those problems.

and there are plenty of recordings that sound that way.

Right, and among the "recordings that sound that way", I
can count on vinyl to stick its hand right up and say
"I've got clearly audible flaws".

We've been through this before.

Right Jenn, and the only logical conclusion is that
there's something going on with you that keeps you from
hearing the well-known audible flaws of vinyl.

Wrong Arny.

No, right.

As I've said many times before, it's a
matter of "picking your poison".

Both arsenic and water can be poisonous, but I'll pick the glass of water
every time.

The sound quality failings of the vinyl format are well-known and
generally-agreed-upon to be by far the stronger poison to our mutual goal of
lifelike sound.

It's ALL artificial.

Not necessarily. I've played CDs through a live sound system and
temporarily fooled people into thinking there is a live performance going
on.

I can listen through a few tics.

Leaving the remaining highly audible problems of rumble, pops, inner groove
distortion, rolled off highs and lows, etc.

I can't listen through a recorded violin sound that resembles an
instrument made
of plastic.

Blame the production people, not the essentially perfect medium that is
readily available to us all.