Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

On 2 Mar 2006 00:26:25 GMT, wrote:

snipping to the chase

Okay, that's one theory.. that we prefer analog because it adds
random-like distortion. But what's curious is that you can easily find
recording engineers who spend a lot of time in concert halls, then make
recordings of those same performances, in both digital and analog
form.. so they have plenty of experience with the choices involved..
and for their ears, analog is a better representation of the musical
event, as a fairly clear general trend.

That's simply not a factual statement, sorry. They are a small minority, even
in the highest quality circles. Maybe you need to get out more.

Ha! Actually, if I 'got out more', all I would do is run into more
engineers who find analog to better reproduce the musical experience.

I said they are easy to find, and they are. They are also very sane,
intelligent, perceptive people who are often masters of musical
knowledge.

They are also in a small minority, as JJN stated, so it's not rational
to use their existence to support your argument. You could replace
'analog' with 'digital' in your statements above, and it would remain
a true statement - but more in tune with the majority opinion at any
level of skill and experience.

The curious thing is that for some of us, using analog means is not
unweildy.. it is not an attempt to create distortions that compensate
for flaws in recordings.. it is simply the best way to reproduce music.

They are not created per se. They just ARE. And people like them, including
myself at times, which is fine. It is not accurate in terms of signal processing.
That's the evidence. What's the problem here? Are you having trouble admitting
that you just LIKE something?

I do like analog. And I also think it sounds more like live music. As
far as I can tell, it is the objectivists who have the difficulty
admitting these are two distinct experiences.

I have never seen any objectivist have a problem with this, but it
*is* a minority opinion, even among 'serious' audiophiles, recording
engineers and musicians.

I like analogue too, but I *don't* think it sounds more like live
music, and I have no problem separating the two experiences.