Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
rickman rickman is offline

Default Questions on Levels

On Nov 20, 4:04*pm, Randy Yates wrote:
(Eric Jacobsen) writes:
[...]
It can be anything.

Thanks for your input, Eric. I realize this is honestly what you
believe, but I'm not sure I agree with it.
--
Randy Yates * * * * * * * * * * *% "How's life on earth?
Digital Signal Labs * * * * * * *% *... What is it worth?"

Why do you have a problem with instantaneous power? Power is a rate,
just like speed. Energy per unit time / distance per unit time. Of
course no measurement of any kind can be done instantaneously, but
that is more an issue of quantum mechanics than a theoretical issue.
If you can perform measurements at a point in time that allow power to
be calculated such as voltage/current/resistance, you can calculate
instantaneous power. RMS is just a way to calculating an average
power of a varying signal. But it is found by using an integral of an
infinite number of power points or in the discrete domain, a sum of
many discrete powers. If the instantaneous or discrete powers don't
exist, how can the integral or sum exist?

Rick