Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Well, thank you for that exacting primer on how tweeters work. It was
very
informative. But it would have served this discussion better to explain to
us
what the mechanism is that keeps even the finest speakers from being able
convincingly reproduce trumpets and some other instruments.

Short answer - there are two rooms are involved and they create the sticking
point.

When you reproduce a recording of a horn or other musical instrument, you
don't reproduce the horn, you try to reproduce it and its effects of the
room it is in.

The exception would be a recording of a horn that was made in an anechoic
chamber, the recording then played in an anechoic chamber. Those can be made
to work fairly well and realistically, but of course nobody is interested in
that.

The horn does not just create a sound vector (intensity versus time) but
instead it creates a sound field (which may be represented by an infinitude
of vectors).

The speaker does not create just the sound of the horn, but it stimulates
the room to make a bunch of other sounds. So there are infinity times
infinity other variables, and fools that we are, we try to send them from
place to place using a small number of signals.