Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Default Tape to CD conversion question

Dave Platt spake thus:

There are also "professional" CD copiers and CD recorders. These
don't require a royalty during manufacture, don't require the royalty-
paid blanks, and their support of SCMS is optional. People who use
them do not get the limited exemption from copyright-violation
prosecution that users of the consumer-audio models do.

This is what the company I worked for made and sold. They used
off-the-shelf CD-R drives (SCSI at the time I worked there, now they've
switched to IDE) which had no limitations whatsoever on the types of
media they'd accept or the types of discs they could make (except for
the oddball formats we had to search high and low for drives to support,
such as CD-G (karaoke)). We had the capability for the customer to
produce copy-protected discs through a proprietary scheme (ours), but so
far as I know none of them actually used it.

As for what our customers did with these duplicators ...

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"