Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

Default Tape to CD conversion question

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Dave: can you post links to these units ("consumer-audio CD burners")?
I'm kind of aghast that, given my experience (over a decade) in the CD
duplication industry, I never really knew about these critters. Are
these stand-alone CD-R burners for making straight CD-to-CD copies?

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/topp...drecordera.htm has a
short review of several different models, with links to the
manufacturers' sites.

I see at least three basic types listed:

- Single-well CD-R/CD-RW recorders. These can record from analog or
S/PDIF digital inputs, but don't have a self-contained CD-to-CD
copying capability.

- Dual-well CD players / burners. These have a CD burning drive, and
a single-disc or multiple-disc CD player. They can copy from CD to
CD-R/RW, and some can do on-the-fly track selection and editing.

- Single-well CD-R/RW burner, with an internal hard disk. These can
copy CDs to CD-R/RW in a two-step process - rip, and then burn.

I believe that all of the ones cited on the page above implement the
U.S. AHRA requirements - they enforce SCMS on their inputs and
outputs, and they will only burn onto the royalty-paid "unrestricted"
blanks. Use 'em per the limitations in the AHRA and you cannot be
prosecuted for copyright infringement.

There are also "professional" CD copiers and CD recorders. These
don't require a royalty during manufacture, don't require the royalty-
paid blanks, and their support of SCMS is optional. People who use
them do not get the limited exemption from copyright-violation
prosecution that users of the consumer-audio models do.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO