Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

Default Tape to CD conversion question

"Michael Weinstein" wrote
in message
news:2006050717591216807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom
On 2006-05-04 11:32:26 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
said:

"J Antero" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a lot of music tapes I'd like to convert to CD.
Is there any easy way to do this well?

I've heard there are "blackbox" setups for this that
are easier than going the computer route, is that
correct?

If by "blackbox" you mean Audio CD recorder, then yes,
there is. Jeff

Audio CD recorders are very easy to use and plug into
your stereo system like another tape recorder.

CD recorders are very easy if all you want is a poor quality recording.

If you want the recording to start and end properly, and have other than
primitive production quality, CD recorders are a starting point at their
best. What I mean is that they are good as a capture device, but that's
about it.

If you capture a recording on a CD recorder and want it to have other than
primitive production values, then you rip the CD with a computer, use
editing software such as the freeware Audacity as needed, and then burn the
edited track on the PC's CD burner. This allows making recordings with clean
starts and stops, it allows you be flexible when producing compilations,
remastering, denoising, etc.

Only downside is you have to buy the AUDIO only CD-Rs. They
are only marginally more expensive but somewhat harder to
find.

This is of course false. There are two kinds of CD recorders "consumer" and
"pro". CD recorders that are sold to the professional market will record on
any standard recordable CD media, just like a PC.