Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Can mp3 quality be improved?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 03:35:39 -0800, Edmund wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:08:58 +0000, Chuck Finley wrote:

I bought an Escient music server several years ago when hard drive space
was still relatively expensive. Most of my music on there is encoded at
320 and 192. Reviews of DACs typically discuss how they can improve the
sound of CD quality or hi-rez music, but I'm wondering what effect they
would have on compressed music. Would some kind of up-sampling device
have to be added to the DAC for this? Thanks.

Clever sneaky marketeers forced the whole word with a
speech defect, MP3 is by no means is compression, it is
reduction. This idiocy let to even further speech defects
because now we have to make distinction between
compression -which in all kinds of different branches per
definition IS lossless and the reduction scheme from MP3.
Since MP3 has thrown away data I would not bother to try
to make it better again, the quality is gone forever.
In MP3 language, puncturing a tire is compressing it.

Edmund

While you do have a point, MP3 does meet the digital definition of
compression. I.E., it does allow one to fit a quart of information into the
proverbial pint pot. That it does so by throwing as much as more than 90% of
the signal away is irrelevant to the definition. It is amazing that MP3 music
at 128 or 64 KBPS is even recognizable, though 8^)